Now Hiring – Executive Director
Posted January 7th, 2022
This position has been filled.
Position Title: Executive Director
Reports To: Board President & Board of Directors
Supervises: All volunteers & staff directly responsible to the Bartell Foundation
The Gerald A. Bartell Community Theatre Foundation is a unique collaboration between five theatre companies who participate in the administration and operation of the Foundation (known as Participating Theatre Companies). Within our walls, Madison artists tell stories about themselves and their worlds. Audience members are transformed, enlightened, entertained, and invited into the conversation about who and what this community is. The purpose and mission of the Gerald A Bartell Community Theatre Foundation, Inc., (GABCTF) is to equip, operate, and maintain a live-performance facility created by the Foundation for the benefit of the Participating Theatre Companies (PTCs), and additional publicly supported organizations of the same class, so as to assist them in carrying out the purpose for which they are organized. The Executive Director serves as the chief executive of the Bartell Theatre Foundation and is responsible for its consistent achievement of its mission, strategic goals, and financial objectives, with the close cooperation of the Board President and the Board of Directors.
General Duties and Responsibilities
Other duties may be assigned or changed at the discretion of the Board.
- Operations: financial management, operations, rental management, building management, venue promotion
- Development: fundraising, grant writing, sponsor development, donor management
- Governance: policy research, board support, planning and goal setting
- Communications: marketing, public relations, advocacy, social media and website management
- Personnel: volunteer and staff management
- Responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
Work with the Board Treasurer to prepare the annual budget and submit for Board approval.
- Manage budget to meet financial goals
- Jointly, as is necessary, with the Board President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Vice President, conduct official correspondence and execute legal documents.
- Work with the Financial manager (CPA) to file annual tax reports for both the Bartell Foundation and Bartell Building Corporation.
- Oversee or implement all financial transactions for both the Foundation and Building Corporation, including: preparing and submitting monthly payroll, processing and paying vendor invoices, processing and delivering all bank deposits, reconciling bank statements, report and file all relevant tax reports.
- Produce and distribute monthly financial reports for the Board of Directors.
- Explore, recommend, and implement new business systems such as ticketing, database, and networking solutions.
- Participate in Fundraising Committee meetings and resulting work as a permanent, non-voting member of the committee.
- Direct annual fund programs, foundation and corporate gifts, grants and sponsorships, special events programs and planned giving.
- Lead strategies and research to identify, prioritize, cultivate, solicit, recognize, and steward all donors and prospects.
- Oversee and implement the writing of grants and proposals that will increase revenue.
Coordinate fundraising events and campaigns.
- Build and sustain relationships with current, new, and potential grant and donation-giving organizations and individuals.
- Manage individual donor campaigns including annual gifts and special appeals.
- Work to secure socially responsible Dane-county based business partners for programs and major fundraisers.
- Oversee management of ticketing, volunteer, and donor databases for the Bartell and its resident companies.
- Collaborate with volunteers, staff, and consultants to ensure that publications, websites, and mailings include donor-focused content.
- Work with the board of directors to enhance development efforts.
Building Operations & Management
- Manage the operation, maintenance, and supplies of the physical plant including a permanent, non-voting seat on the Maintenance committee.
- Recommend research, planning, and implementation of improvements, repairs, and renovations of the building and theater spaces.
- Oversees concessions, office, janitorial, and theatrical supplies and contractors.
- Work with the Box Office Manager to ensure prompt response to email, telephone, and social media inquiries.
- Maintain archival documents for both the Bartell Foundation and the Bartell Building Corporation.
- Apply for and maintain all applicable licensure including: charitable organization, theater venue, liquor license, nonprofit status, etc.
- Act as liquor license agent for the Bartell Foundation.
- Prepare and execute contracts, invoices, and necessary paperwork for all rentals for both outside entities (non-PTCs) and Bartell residents (PTCs)
- Act as venue promoter to market, attract, and develop the Bartell Theatre to non-PTC entities.
- Prepare, negotiate, and execute all annual contracts with the Bartell PTCs.
Identify, develop, and recruit new potential resident PTCs when necessary.
- Serve as the main point of contact for all PTCs and non-PTCs for all rental inquiries and needs.
- Ensure all rentals and productions conform to Fire Codes and ADA requirements.
- Ensure all rentals and productions adhere to Bartell rules and regulations and submit necessary documentation when rentals are complete.
- Arrange for technical support and lobby staffing for all non-PTC rentals.
- Help manage the Bartell Rental Calendar.
- Responsible for oversight of Bartell Theatre Foundations goals, standards, and vision.
- Work with the board to enhance effectiveness of board members as strategic thinkers, fundraisers, volunteers, and legal caretakers of the Bartell’s mission and strategic goals.
- Provide guidance, feedback, and eventual implementation of long-term plans as formulated and approved by the Board.
- Work with committees to implement and plan activities and strategies to promote the vision of the board of directors.
- Collect, prepare, and distribute all Board of Directors materials at monthly board meetings.
- Represent the theatre and foundation in the community.
- Serve as a staff representative of the Foundation at special events and performances at the Bartell.
- Represent the Bartell Foundation on commissions, committees and boards of organizations in ways that will support the mission and goals of the Bartell Theatre Foundation.
- Serve as primary editor and administrator of all Bartell social media accounts.
- Create or collaborate on the creation of marketing materials, including: the Bartell website, season poster and brochure, newsletters, press releases and interviews, fundraising and campaign materials, special event marketing, etc
- Responsible for all recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, volunteer or paid, that directly serve the Bartell Theatre Foundation.
- Develop job descriptions, hold regular performance evaluations, and ensure sound human resources practices are followed.
- Assist in the training, management, and recruitment of volunteers for the PTCs as relates to work at the Bartell Theatre.
- Maintain a climate that attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality volunteers and employees.
- Ideal candidates will have experience with:
- Administration of a business or non-profit organization including accounting and standard
- Public relations and marketing
- Fundraising and grant writing
- Management of volunteers, employees, and contractors.
- Customer Service
- Additional consideration will be give to candidates whose experience includes:
- Building Maintenance
- Knowledge of Technical Theatre
- Box Office Management
- CRM Software
- Event Management
- Possess excellent communication and organization skills.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, confidentiality, interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal communication, interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Ability to present, inform, and motivate individuals and groups about the Bartell’s mission and programs.
- Ability to apply for and maintain a liquor license and license as a liquor agent.
To Apply: Email your resume, a cover letter, and at least three references to Board President, Zak Stowe at firstname.lastname@example.org. For timely consideration please submit your application materials by April 1st, 2022. Position will remain open until filled.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands listed below are representative of those that should be met by the individual to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and responsibilities.
While this position is primarily an office job, the individual may be required to walk and/or stand for periods up to two or more hours. They must have clear speaking ability and sufficient hearing to be able to communicate effectively. The individual may occasionally be required to climb ladders and perform manual labor on an as-needed basis.
Link to PDF